Sunday, January 11, 2015

Mid Century Modern Mint Dresser

One Monday a while back I found an ad on craigslist about free furniture. It said to get there by Sunday (the day before) or the garbage men would take it. I took the chance to drive by Monday night to see if anything was left.
It looked like everything was left! If you can believe it, I only took the two dressers the arrows are pointing to. The rest were a bunch of desks and broken pieces.
This is the dresser that was upside down and backwards at the top of the photo. A really cool mid century modern dresser.

So far, I have gotten the chance to paint two other mid century pieces and those were also free!
Free MCM Table

Free MCM Dresser
But I painted those white and I wanted to do something different. I chose a mint color oops paint that I have had forever. 
I sanded down the three drawers on the right and taped off the wood elements on the drawers to the left. I used two coats of the mint color (mixed into homemade chalk paint), distressed and waxed with Minwax finishing paste. I waxed the drawers on the right with AS dark wax.
I started painting at night so the color didn't feel as bright as it did once I moved it into the sun. It may be a little edgy for my area, but I hope someone likes it.


Linking to:
DIY Showoff | Silver Pennies | Twelve-O-Eight | Brepurposed Creatively Living | Craft-O-Maniac | I Should Be Mopping The Floor | Homecoming | The Dedicated House | Coastal Charm | A Stroll Through Life | Love Grows Wild | Table For Seven | Kammy's Korner | VMG206 | Not Just A Housewife | Sugar Bee Crafts | Mabey She Made It | The Winthrop Chronicles | Elizabeth & Co. | The DIY Dreamer | Power of Paint | Home Stories Z to Z | Art Is Beauty | Savvy Southern Style | Fluster Buster | Polka Dots On Parade | The Real Housewives of Riverton | The Happy Housie | My Repurposed Life | Nap Time Is My Time | Lamberts Lately | I Gotta Create | Domestic Superhero | Living Well Spending Less | My Repurposed Life | Just Between Friends | Redoux Interiors | The Thrifty Groove | Liz Marie | Miss Mustard Seed | The Pin Junkie | Craft Dictator | Crafty Allie | Lovely Crafty Home | Remodelaholic | Today's Creative Blog | DIY Vintage Chic | Funky Junk Interiors | Too Much Time On My Hands 

11 comments:

  1. Hello Susan. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Those are some great finds. Good for you for seeing their potential. I think the mint color works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks for rescuing them from the landfill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I just love what you did with it, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous! Love the risk you took with the paint color! :) Visiting from Kammy's Korner link up!

    -Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
    www.revolutionariesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the color, so much fun on this beautiful MCM piece! And how lucky to get it for free!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy to feature you at our party this morning. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. (Plans Review + Book Download) - 16000 Woodworking Plans and Projects...
    https://woodworkingplanspro.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read all your comments. I now reply to all comments on the blog post, so please check back if you asked questions for my response.
Thank you!