Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sherwin Williams Color To Go

There is a Sherwin Williams store right in town.  I drive by it every time I am headed out to Home Depot.  I just assumed HD would have better pricing on paint. 

I finally went in to check it out.  I did find that their gallons of paint are more expensive than HD, but they have Color To Go.  It is their sample pot of paint and it is only $6.50 for 31 ounces of paint!  (Behr samples are $2.95 for 8 ounces.)  


I was told at the store that this sample paint is not formulated the same way the gallons are.  That is just a sample for color and that it will not hold up like their regular paint.
They don't tell you exactly what is different about the paint sample, but you can see on the label how it says it must be topcoated?  When I mix Plaster of Paris into the paint to make homemade chalk paint, I always finish the project with wax--which is a topcoat!

[On a side note, my dad painted his hallway with the Color To Go paint.  He didn't know it was formulated differently, it was just the amount of paint he needed. He painted it almost a year ago and it has held up fine.]

The reason I am talking about the Sherwin Williams paint is because I had this shelf unit that I was painting.
It was already painted white and I chose to paint it a navy blue that I had a sample pot of.  I painted one coat and it was very streaky and was definitely going to need at least two more coats.
Right when I was finishing up the first coat, I dropped my pot of paint! 
I was never going to have enough paint to finish.  I was also not happy with how streaky the paint was and figured it was time to check out a better quality paint, which lead me to the Sherwin Williams store.
I picked the color Seaworthy and mixed it into DIY chalk paint.  It took one coat to cover all the streaks!    
I am so happy with this paint and the Sherwin Williams store is so much closer to me than Home Depot.  It is now my go-to paint when I need a color mixed!

Linking to:
Silver Pennies
Creative Home Expressions
DIY Showoff
I Should Be Mopping The Floor
Craft-O-Maniac
Dwellings
Homemaker On A Dime
The Dedicated House
A Stroll Through Life
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Today's Creative Blog
Kathe With An E 
Elizabeth & Co.
The Winthrop Chronicles
Not Just A Housewife
Rain On A Tin Roof
Love Grows Wild
The DIY Dreamer
Savvy Southern Style
Yellow Bliss Road 
Fluster Buster 
Dorothy Sue And Millie B's Too 
Green Willow Pond
Polkadots On Parade
Southern Lovely
Saving4Six
Mom On Timeout
The Shabby Creek Cottage
The Happy Housie
I Gotta Create
Lamberts Lately
Living Well Spending Less
The Real Housewives of Riverton
Domestic Superhero
Crafty Scrappy Happy  
Redoux
Start At Home  
The Shabby Nest 
Miss Mustard Seed 
Liz Marie
The Dedicated House
Lovely Crafty Weekend
If It's Not Baroque
The Happy Housie

22 comments:

  1. Great outcome, Looks fab! thanks for the tip about S. W. I buy the little sample paints often. S. W. is such a deal, I would bet it is the same paint as a normal latex, with other formulas needed for specialized uses.
    hugs, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Color-to-Go is all I use. I use a poly over the top (and have waxed) and have never had a problem. Love it. :)
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also been buying Color to Go. I purchased mine colored to "match" ASCP colors from a chart found on Altard.com. Not really close (I was very disappointed) but they are still nice enough colors and I can work with them. (The problem isn't with Sherwin Williams. The chart is off buy a couple of shades. Just a note of warning!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks great.Hey Suzan do you prefer people to be followers or do google + I am only kind of new at blogger so I havnt thought about it.I only have a few followers and didn't know which one better to use-love dee x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Re-do! I, myself am a huge fan of DIY chalk paint! I recently did a desk upcycle with it and it turned out great. So much easier than sanding and striping!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Color to Go is the only stuff I ever use for DIY chalkpaint! My SW had a sale recently so I got 2 quarts for $8 :) Love your shelves....great shade of blue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like their paint too. I painted everything in my last house with their paint and it look fabulous for years, no fading at all. I like that. Thanks for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have used SW paint before and am pleased with it too! Glad the project turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely color. Love it. Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tip... Thanks for that, we have a Sherwin Wiliams right down the street... Thanks for linking up at Dorothy Sue and Millie B's too....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found your blog on the Commona-my house blog. I love redoing a n older piece of furniture and get great satisfaction of seeing the finished piece. You did a great job redoing the bookshelf.
    I would love it if you would link up with us at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!

    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/07/clever-chicks-blog-hop-45-with-three.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the bookshelf! Those little pots of paint are great! We have a ton of them! Haha! I actually used one to paint our tiny basement bathroom. I know you're not "supposed to", but it's just a half bath and it looks great! Oh well! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. appears great.Hey there Suzan would you choose website visitors to be followers as well as carry out search engines + I am simply form of brand-new in writer therefore i havnt thought about that.We simply have several fans and couldn't know what type easier to use-love dee bybuy rs gold

    ReplyDelete
  14. My sister has used the color to go paint before, but I had forgotten all about it. Thanks for the reminder! Your bookshelf turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So, did you change your recipe and add more of the P of P to the whole 31 oz size of SW Color To Go? Or do you stick with the same quantity of the paint as the old recipe with HD paint? Thanks! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tip, good to know!!! Looks great and I love the color. So happy to have you share at Amaze Me Monday!!!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the SW paint too. It's the only paint our painter uses on houses. And no, I do not paint walls! But I like the sample pots to mix up homemade chalk paint too. And it's a good deal!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good to know about the sample pots. I have used their paint for walls and didn't like it. I didn't like how thick it was and found it way overpriced, but I will have to check into this sample paint. The shelf turned out great! Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great week!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a beautiful Color!! I will have to stop by Sherwin Williams I had no idea they did that!! Thank you for linking up at my paint party

    Brooke
    startathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing! And I might have to start going to SW. I'd love for you to link up to The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-diyers-and-my-new-rug.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just love the bright blue color!! Sherwin Williams is just so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. If you maintain distributing effectively prepared articles or blog posts just like this then I will often keep returning back again to your weblog. Really excellent content.
    Paint dealer Nepal
    Asian Paints Nepal
    Painting Nepal
    Shades Nepal

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read all your comments. I now reply to all comments on the blog post, so please check back if you asked questions for my response.
Thank you!