Sunday, February 8, 2015

Secondhand Scores Transformation | Mounted Deer Heads

My favorite thing is when some of my secondhand score items that I get at completely different times come together to create an awesome project.

That is exactly what happened with these $.50 plastic deer heads.  

How weird are these? I have no idea how these were used originally, but for $.50 I couldn't pass them up.

I knew I wanted to mount them so I went through my pile of garage sale wood plaques to find ones that would work with the heads. I see these things at garage sales all the time for like $.05-$.10 each. I like to think of them as a craft that never was.
I found two that fit, although they were not the exact same shape. I stained them with Minwax Dark Walnut.
To reduce the creepy factor, I spray painted the heads white. They had holes in the backs that I was able to put wood dowels in and then stick them in the ground for easy spraying.
The final step was mounting them. Since they had a hole in the back, I put a screw in the wood and put the heads over that. I did need to use glue to keep them straight on the wood. I used E6000.

I used them on my decorative shelves that I put seasonal decor on. I don't have a mantle, so this is the next best thing.

Of course the shelves and everything on them except for the fake candles are secondhand scores.

Linking to:
DIY Showoff | Silver Pennies | Twelve-O-Eight | Brepurposed Creatively Living | Craft-O-Maniac | I Should Be Mopping The Floor | Homecoming | The Dedicated House | Coastal Charm | A Stroll Through Life | Love Grows Wild | Table For Seven | Kammy's Korner | VMG206 | Not Just A Housewife | Sugar Bee Crafts | Mabey She Made It | The Winthrop Chronicles | Elizabeth & Co. | The DIY Dreamer | Power of Paint | Home Stories Z to Z | Art Is Beauty | Savvy Southern Style | Fluster Buster | Polka Dots On Parade | The Real Housewives of Riverton | The Happy Housie | My Repurposed Life | Nap Time Is My Time | Lamberts Lately | I Gotta Create | Domestic Superhero | Living Well Spending Less | My Repurposed Life | Just Between Friends | Redoux Interiors | The Thrifty Groove | Liz Marie | Miss Mustard Seed | The Pin Junkie | Craft Dictator | Crafty Allie | Lovely Crafty Home | Remodelaholic | Today's Creative Blog | DIY Vintage Chic | Funky Junk Interiors | Too Much Time On My Hands 

27 comments:

  1. Wow, from creepy to cool and all for $1! Well done. Love your seasonal shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I can't wait for garage sales to start up this year.

      Delete
  2. Oh my...these were a great find and I like the makeover you did on them. Thanks for sharing at my Show and Share Party.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, these are totally cool. Love the upcycle. The world is better without those 2 creepy deer crawling about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They definitely were creepy before. I wish I would have asked the lady who sold them to what she used them for originally.

      Delete
  4. This is such a great project, Susan! Thanks for sharing how you got such an "on trend" look with thrift store and yard sale items. You know what, I did not even notice the wood plaques were not the same size until I re-read your tutorial and then looked at the finished picture again...hardly noticeable. I saw your post over at "Savvy Southern Style".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The 2 different plaques bothered me at first, but I would rather use what I have and that makes me like them even more.

      Delete
  5. That was a great transformation! What a great idea and very frugal!

    Thanks for sharing at Inspire Me Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much better in white! A great find Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, how cute are those?! Love what you've done with them! I totally would have bought them too :o]

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so great! What a cool find and an awesome transformation. I like the way you think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think they must have once been target practice deer, and the heads were saved just for you to create something great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhhhhh these were SO creepy! And you transformed them into something really sleek and striking. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, they were a little creepy! I like them much better now!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a good eye you have and the transformation is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you did great job! , painting is really nice as well :-)
    I have similar but with gray wolf

    ReplyDelete
  14. hp is one of the most trusted brand in the world.Reach our hp customer support team for getting quick assistance from the team of professional experts.Get instant solution at hp support phone number is available 24*7 in usa.
    HP Customer Service
    HP Customer Service phone number
    HP printer support number
    HP Support number

    ReplyDelete
  15. It’s difficult to find well-informed people about this topic, but you seem like you know what you’re talking about! https://kbcofficialwinner.com/kbc-winner-list/ Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. QuickBooks provide Premier Support for QuickBooks User to make QuickBooks more easy and fruitful.Dial 1-855-533-6333 Quickbooks Enterprise Support Phone Number

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice Blog !
    Demanding advanced solutions to your day-to-day emerging tech issues in QuickBooks? Don’t worry!! Here is the solution!! Just by dialing our QuickBooks Payroll Support Phone Number 1-855-662-2040, you can dispose of all your worries.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is Very very nice article. Everyone should read. Thanks for sharing. Don't miss WORLD'S BEST GAMES
    FOR 👉 GamesDownload

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read all your comments. I now reply to all comments on the blog post, so please check back if you asked questions for my response.
Thank you!