Sunday, October 27, 2013

Mid Century Modern Makeover

I got this table as part of the free furniture haul in August.
I have been seeing so many nice mid century modern makeovers that are white and wood tone and this was going to be perfect for it.

I started by sanding the drawers and stripping the legs. I used Citrisolve for the legs and it did a great job, but I didn't know how to get it off round legs with a flat scraper.  I pretty much made a giant mess and used a whole bunch of things I am sure were not meant to remove the stripper, but it worked!

I painted the body of the table and handles with three coats of SW paint in their base white mixed into DIY chalk paint
I coated the drawers and legs with Annie Sloan dark wax mixed with paint thinner and I love the color they became!
I didn't distress because I knew it wouldn't go with this look. 
Although I did line the drawers with this funkadelic penguin fabric I got over the summer.  I love this crazy fabric and just thought it would be a fun surprise to find.


Linking to:
DIY Showoff | Silver Pennies | Craft-O-Maniac | I Should Be Mopping The Floor | Creative Home Expressions | Dwellings | Pink When | Rain On A Tin Roof | Homecoming | The Dedicated House | Coastal Charm | Cozy Little House | A Stroll Through Life | Love Grows Wild | Table For Seven | Kammy's Korner | VMG206 | Not Just A Housewife | The Winthrop Chronicles | Elizabeth & Co. | The DIY Dreamer | Ella Claire | Savvy Southern Style | Fluster Buster | Polka Dots On Parade | The Real Housewives of Riverton | The Happy Housie | Lamberts Lately | Sweet Haute | Saving 4 Six | Start At Home | I Gotta Create | Domestic Superhero | Living Well Spending Less | Redoux Interiors | The Thrifty Groove | Liz Marie | The Shabby Nest | Miss Mustard Seed | The Pin Junkie | Craft DictatorLovely Crafty Home | Remodelaholic | One Project Closer | Today's Creative Blog | DIY Vintage Chic | Funky Junk Interiors | Too Much Time On My Hands 

Featured by:
Silver Pennies
Rain On A Tin Roof
Too Much Time On My Hands

38 comments:

  1. I have a mid century modern dresser that I did not want to paint completely , but wanted to lighten. Yours gives me a great idea on what it could look like. Thanks, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I am a big fan of the mid century furniture and this makeover is stunning ~ Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great!!!! as does all of your make-overs!!!! Your blog is in my group of the " first" ones I open to see what you've been up to. Love hearing your garage sale finds and the story about the piece you "stole" was too funny!!! I thought those things only happen to me!!!
    Keep up the good work....Addie

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT! I'm not normally a MCM lover, but you just made me a BIG fan! This is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You out did yourself with this one I think it looks wonderful-love dee x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great. Love the pattern on the front. (I like the "not distressed" look.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I LOVE the fabric in the drawers. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, I love this piece, and the drawers are just awesome! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This turned out absolutely beautiful. Great upgrade! Thanks for linking up to The DIY'ers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Smart pick. That style of furniture is so popular these days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! love love love the makeover. i am a huge fan of MCM. Thanks for sharing visiting from the party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love love this! I just did my own mid century modern makeover too:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your table turned out lovely. I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous mid century piece. I love the new two toned finish. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG! That is so fabulous! LOve it totally! That is such fun fabric in the drawers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So jealous you got this for free! You did an amazing job!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is stunning! I love the lines of this piece and painted white with the wood tones it just pops! Thanks for sharing at TTF!

    ReplyDelete
  18. visiting you from Frugal Friday. This is spectacular. You must be really pleased

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorge! I do MCM redos all the time. The fact that you got this free is super. Love the fabric too. Great job. BTW, you can take an 80 grit sandpaper and do the legs by hand. It comes off pretty easily. No need to mess with the stripper!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The table looks great! Love the white and the fabric liners are too fun.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how this turned out! You did a great job and I love that penguin fabric inside the drawers!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That was once a Kent Coffey Perspecta night stand. Painting furniture pretty much ruins it if you ever want to bring it back to its original beauty. You could have easily just restained it. What a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the fabric, ultimate compliment to the drawers

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOVE how this came out! Featured it today on Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this makeover - such a statement piece now!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love what you did with her, so cute! The funky paper is sure to be a surprise when the drawer is opened. Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  27. Turned out great!!! LOVE the drawer lining!

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOVE THE MAKEOVER, IM REALLLY STARTING TO LIKE THIS STYLE! would love to feature it, if that would be ok please let me know,
    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great job inside and out. This isn't even my personal taste, but I see what a small miracle you did with this free furniture haul!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am crushing on Mid-century furniture of late and I have a similar side table just waiting for a new life. Love what you did! I think I will get at that table next week! Thx

    ReplyDelete
  31. So, where did you get the amazing drawer handles?

    ReplyDelete
  32. To strip round legs, you apply Citrisolv and wrap with plastic wrap, and scrub off with a round nylon dish scrubber---the dollar store kind. All the gunk just collects in the spaces and then just throw it away.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read all your comments. I now reply to all comments on the blog post, so please check back if you asked questions for my response.
Thank you!