Sunday, November 10, 2013

Army Green Dresser

I got this dresser for $3 from a thrift store that was closing down.  Structurally it was in good condition, but those stickers gave me a hard time.
I used a hair dryer to soften the stickers and got them off with a plastic scraper.  I had to hold the hair dryer about an inch away from the stickers to get it to work. I then used rubbing alcohol to remove the residue.

Then, after much consideration, I chose to paint it in an oops paint that I have had for a while.  I have an entire gallon of it and it looks pretty scary in the can so I never used it before.  
See what I mean? I took a chance and painted it with two coats mixed into homemade chalk paint. Turns out the color is pretty amazing!
I distressed it with a medium grit sanding sponge and it brought out so much dimension to the paint.  It is very subtle in the photos, but it is there and it is awesome!

And because I always distress, I left the imperfections of the dresser instead of filling with wood putty for two reasons. 1) I think it adds character, it is not meant to be perfect. 2) I would not have been able to make a perfect repair anyway.
I think the color came out exactly like army green! I painted the red stripe and numbers to add to the theme.
The hardware was crazy dirty and painted with red nail polish. The way I clean all hardware is by soaking it in ammonia. Susan from Uniquely Yours...Or Mine recommended it and it has wonderful results!

I put the hardware in an glass jar and then fill enough ammonia to cover the hardware and let it soak overnight. Make sure to put a cover on because it stinks! I took them out and the nail polish just rinsed off with water (it will also melt paint off). 

I then polished them with a scrubby sponge to remove the tarnish and they come out so shiny and happy! Some hardware doesn't come out that shiny. In those cases I either spray paint it or use Rub n' Buff.
Linking to:
DIY Showoff | Silver Pennies | Craft-O-Maniac | I Should Be Mopping The Floor | Creative Home Expressions | Dwellings | Pink When | Rain On A Tin Roof | Homecoming | The Dedicated House | Coastal Charm | Cozy Little House | A Stroll Through Life | Love Grows Wild | Table For Seven | Kammy's Korner | VMG206 | Not Just A Housewife | The Winthrop Chronicles | Elizabeth & Co. | The DIY Dreamer | Art Is BeautyElla Claire | Savvy Southern Style | Fluster Buster | Polka Dots On Parade | The Real Housewives of Riverton | The Happy Housie | Lamberts Lately | Sweet Haute | Saving 4 Six | Start At Home | I Gotta Create | Domestic Superhero | Living Well Spending Less | One More Time Events | Redoux Interiors | The Thrifty Groove | Liz Marie | The Shabby Nest | Miss Mustard Seed | The Pin Junkie | Craft Dictator | Crafty Allie | Lovely Crafty Home | Remodelaholic | One Project Closer | Today's Creative Blog | DIY Vintage Chic | Funky Junk Interiors | Too Much Time On My Hands 

16 comments:

  1. Great makeover (love the green!) and thanks (via Susan) for the hardware tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the project and always look forward to tips you share...Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, I really love the red stripe you added to it. Congrats on a great reno! -Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! The stripe and numbers gave it the little added touch it needed to make it not so plain. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how that turned out. Thanks for the tip about ammonia and paint.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip on cleaning hardware. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy to learn a new trick! The ammonia soak is certainly easier than using fine steel wool to bring up the shine, as I have been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Susan, great job on this dresser - love the numbers and the stripe detail. Thanks for the tip on cleaning hardware. Glad I found you over at the Share Your Stuff Party!
    Marie@InteriorFrugalista

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great piece and wow, such a good price. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for linking to Elizabeth & Co......I'm so glad I found your blog! Awesome dresser, and a great tip for the hardware! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's looks awesome..love the green! Thanks for sharing at Share your Stuff Tuesdays!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the shape of this dresser and your oops paint turned out fabulous. Clever to add the red! Thanks for sharing at TTF!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This came out great! Thanks for the ammonia tip. I didn't know about that. Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great transformation! That dresser is so cute! Perfect for a boys room. Thanks for linking up to the Twirl and Take a Bow Party! Hope to see you again next Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. GREAT JOB! And I really like the color combinations! I'm gonna pin this one to our board! Thanks for for sharing on DIY Sunday Showcase!!

    Shelly from MinettesMaze.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read all your comments. I now reply to all comments on the blog post, so please check back if you asked questions for my response.
Thank you!