I painted them with homemade chalk paint that was a mix of a bunch of colors that turned out to be a blue/grey. I sanded the veneer on the tops and stained them with coconut oil.
The above photo is the first after. I sent them to the consignment store where they sat for two months. Now once a piece is done, even if I am not 100% happy with the results, I am my own worst critic and I know eventually someone out there will like what I did, so I don't repaint anything.
But I just started doing the Mod Podge image transfer technique and wanted to keep practicing it. These two tables had a blank slate for the tops and so I decided to take them back to add a graphic.
I saw on Amy's Casablanca, that she found the site Wikimedia Commons that has tons of images to use and I picked out two old maps of Europe. (And by picking out two old maps, I mean I spent at least two hours searching for the perfect graphics, in the perfect size, that went with the look of the tables and could appeal to a broad customer base)
I reversed them and sized them for my table tops in Power Point. I then emailed the file to Staples and had them print them on 18x24 engineer prints for $1.79 each.
First I painted the tops with two coats of white paint. After it was dry, I brushed Mod Podge all over the image and then applied it to the table top. I smoothed out the air bubbles as best I could and let it sit overnight.
Once I was satisfied with how much of the top layer of paper came off I applied Martha Stewart Metallic glaze in Black Coffee right on top of the paper. After it was dry I sanded the whole top concentrating on the edges to distress it even more. I used Minwax Finishing Paste to seal it.
I have to admit I am on the fence with how they came out. I think the paper soaked up too much of the glaze and is a bit dark. It definitely needed the glaze because it looked worse without it, but maybe I should have waxed first and then added the glaze so I could have had more control of how dark it got. I also think I should have not painted the tops white, so where ever the paper completely came off, you could have seen the wood instead of white.
Coulda, shoulda, woulda, they sold within a few weeks so I must have done something right!
Sir Thrift A Lot | DIY Showoff | Silver Pennies | Craft-O-Maniac | I Should Be Mopping The Floor | Creative Home Expressions | Dwellings | Pink When | Rain On A Tin Roof | Homecoming | The Dedicated House | Coastal Charm | Cozy Little House | A Stroll Through Life | Love Grows Wild | Table For Seven | Kammy's Korner | VMG206 | Not Just A Housewife | The Winthrop Chronicles | Elizabeth & Co. | The DIY Dreamer | Home Stories Z to Z | Art Is Beauty | Ella Claire | Savvy Southern Style | Fluster Buster | Polka Dots On Parade | Ivy And Elephants | The Real Housewives of Riverton | The Happy Housie | Lamberts Lately | Sweet Haute | Saving 4 Six | Start At Home | I Gotta Create | Domestic Superhero | Living Well Spending Less | Just Between Friends | Redoux Interiors | The Thrifty Groove | Liz Marie | The Shabby Nest | Miss Mustard Seed | The Pin Junkie | Craft Dictator | Crafty Allie | Lovely Crafty Home | Remodelaholic | One Project Closer | Today's Creative Blog | DIY Vintage Chic | Funky Junk Interiors | Too Much Time On My Hands