Sunday, November 3, 2013

5' Long French Country Coffee Table

I lucked out and scored this huge coffee table with two end tables for $10 total at a garage sale in July!
The top had a small damage spot in the middle so I stripped it with Citristrip.  There was just a thin coat of varnish that melted right off.

I painted over the horrible yellow and gold paint with two coats of homemade chalk paint in white.  After it dried, there was some bleed through so I painted a third coat in SW Essential Grey. I didn't mix it into chalk paint since there was already two coats as a base.
To bring out all the detail in the table, I used Martha Stewart metallic glaze in Black Coffee--I love this glaze!  I used a foam brush to push it into all the lines and then wiped it away with a wet rag. 
The table had such amazing details that would have been lost if I did not glaze it.
I actually painted and glazed the entire table upside down.  It looked so different to me once I turned it over!  I sealed the paint and glaze with Minwax Wipe-On Poly.  It is much better to use this when there is a lot of detail as it would have been too hard to buff out wax.
For the top, after I stripped the old finish, I didn't want to stain this incredible wood.  I just put a coat of coconut oil to brighten it up and then sealed it with both Minwax Wipe-On Poly and Finishing Paste.  I added the finishing paste because the wipe-on poly looked streaky to me.  After I buffed it, the top was perfect!
I was really happy with how it came out.  


Linking to:
DIY Showoff | Silver Pennies | Craft-O-Maniac | I Should Be Mopping The Floor | Creative Home Expressions | Dwellings | Pink When | Rain On A Tin Roof | Homecoming | The Dedicated House | Coastal Charm | Cozy Little House | A Stroll Through Life | Love Grows Wild | Table For Seven | Kammy's Korner | VMG206 | Not Just A Housewife | The Winthrop Chronicles | Elizabeth & Co. | The DIY Dreamer | Ella Claire | Savvy Southern Style | Fluster Buster | Polka Dots On Parade | The Real Housewives of Riverton | The Happy Housie | Lamberts Lately | Sweet Haute | Saving 4 Six | Start At Home | I Gotta Create | Domestic Superhero | Living Well Spending Less | One More Time EventsRedoux Interiors | The Thrifty Groove | Liz Marie | The Shabby Nest | Miss Mustard Seed | The Pin Junkie | Craft Dictator | Crafty AllieLovely Crafty Home | Remodelaholic | One Project Closer | Today's Creative Blog | DIY Vintage Chic | Funky Junk Interiors | Too Much Time On My Hands 

Featured by:
One More Time...Events
So Much Better With Age
Sweet Haute

23 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Susan, that coffee table is spectacular! Such a find and you did such a beautiful job.
    Found you at Silver Pennies and you have a new follower.
    Have a great Sunday.

    Robyn @ simply fresh dinners

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! Amazing result on a $10 investment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Susan! Love all those gorgeous details--glazing was the perfect treatment!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I love it..and thanks for the heads up on MS glaze..I will be sure to check that out...Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. That was a great buy and it turned out amazing. Best wishes, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a turn around! And I love the price you paid for it! So pretty :)
    New friend from Kammy's Korner Trash to Treasure link up.
    Sabrina
    http://4mykiddos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful transformation! And thank you so much for sharing the products you used and steps you took to get such an amazing look!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! That wood is just gorgeous, and I love how you made the painted details pop. Really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Table is is just absolutely beautiful!! I love the the color you picked... I would like to invite you to come share it at One More Time Events...http://www.onemoretimeevents.com/2013/11/home-and-hearth-share-it-one-more-time.html
    Hope to See you there...Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! thanks so much for sharing! http://www.handmadeintheheartland.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, how in the heck did you store it so cheap? So jealous it so Beautiful! I'd love it if you'd add it to our link party @ http://thecraftiestallie.blogspot.com/2013/11/its-that-time-again-friday-follow-along.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG that coffee table makeover is gorgeous and you got it for a dream price! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous makeover! Love how it turned out! Thanks for linking to TTF!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful work! And it really looks awesome with the glaze!
    I saw you sharing at Miss Mustard Seed's
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really Gorgeous! You did a great job!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stopping by to Thank you for sharing at One More Time Events and let you know you have been featured http://www.onemoretimeevents.com/2013/11/dessert-display-with-flour-sack.html. Party is up hope you can stop by and share some more of your great ideas....Hugs Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! The glaze made it! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very special thanks for the inspiration and sharing.
    Regards from Sunny South Africa
    Sandra
    http://deoudehuize.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. You did such a great job! You're featured from Give Me The Goods and on my FB page today ;)
    Hugs,
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Susan this is just gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing at Redoux. I am sharing tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  21. so funny , in Australia "Lucked Out" means you got bad luck. This is perfect and yes that yellow had to go. love what you did
    Fiona xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. (Plans Review + Book Download) - 16000 Woodworking Plans and Projects...
    https://woodworkingplanspro.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read all your comments. I now reply to all comments on the blog post, so please check back if you asked questions for my response.
Thank you!