Here is the cast of characters. (Table five was switched in on a whim and I didn't have a before shot of it.) I sanded down all the tops and was able to stain all of them with Minwax Dark Walnut.
The first table was from the hoarder garage sale. I used a blue/grey oops color that I mixed into homemade chalk paint.
This paint is Behr Premium Plus Self-Priming Interior Flat which was also low odor, zero VOC. This paint was AMAZING! The coverage was incredible, although I am sure that is what made it hard to distress. I did do two coats, but probably could have gotten away with one. I distressed and waxed with Minwax Finishing Paste.
Since the coverage was so good, I thought this color would work great on this table and added it in.
This one only needed one coat and I distressed heavily. I used the dark wax "glaze" technique and also a little stain on the drawer detail since I was having trouble getting the wax in all the crevices. Can you believe they were both painted the same color?
I painted the next two tables that I got at this auction with Valspar Pine Green mixed into homemade chalk paint. After the three coats of paint, I distressed both and used the dark wax "glaze" technique. The green color was a little too bright for my taste and the wax toned the color down a lot.
It will be interesting to know if someone buys both or if they sell separately (I priced them the same).
I finally painted this table I got from the first auction I went to (in October) with three coats of Valspar Churchill Hotel Vanilla mixed into homemade chalk paint. I distressed it and finished it with the dark wax "glaze" to give it more depth.
Because my furniture budget per piece is pretty low, I get a lot of tables since that what usually falls into my price range. I still have quite a few to paint, but this freed up a lot of room (to buy more).