Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Secondhand Scores #2

When I was a kid my parents went to garage sales all the time.  I admit I was totally embarrassed by it.  I never really bothered going regularly until after I had my son.  I realized I could get clothes and toys and things for him for pennies on the dollar and that is when my love for secondhand was born.

Garage sales are my favorite but I also go to flea markets, thrift stores and auctions.  I am always on the hunt for furniture to paint, stuff for myself, my house, my kids and unique items that I could put to future use.  I love the thrill of finding something that was once very expensive for as little money as possible.


In this series, I will share my scores to show you how much you could get for your hard earned money.  Some days I hit jackpots, some days I get nothing, but I always have fun.


$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I found a new furniture auction.  It is small and goes very quick.  They do it twice a month and the one I went to I scored big!

I got this cute little bench for $1!

This table for $1!
AND this dresser for $1 as well!!!  I couldn't believe it myself!
I had my daughter with me and I couldn't fit the dresser in the car with her.  I dropped her off at home and when I went back to get the dresser I noticed there was another dresser sitting next to it marked NO SALE.  How I missed it during the auction, I don't know.  I asked them if they were going to sell it at the next auction and they said no--I CAN HAVE IT IF I WANT IT!!!!!
Ummm, yes please!  They were worth it for the hardware alone, but they were both structurally in good shape.  With some creative painting I should be able to work with them.


Linking to:
Southern Lovely
The Real Housewives of Riverton
I Gotta Create
House of Hepworths 
The Shabby Creek Cottage
Embracing Change
Mom On Timeout
Domestic Superhero
All Things With Purpose
Funky Junk Interiors
Life On Lakeshore Drive
Lovely Crafty Weekend
I Heart Naptime
I Should Be Mopping The Floor
Craft-O-Maniac
Coastal Charm
Lolly Jane
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia 
Homemaker On A Dime
Kathe With An E
Elizabeth & Co.
Not Just A Housewife
Kammy's Korner
Cozy Little House
The DIY Dreamer
Bright Green Door

20 comments:

  1. Wow, those are awesome deals! Auctions are my favorite, but I don't go to garage sales very much. I always feel a little strange picking over peoples stuff - silly I know, because they *want* us there picking it over, lol.

    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you pay $1 for such great stuff! I have a thrift store in the area I get furniture like this for upwards of $40 and I think THAT is a steal!

    I love the bench ;)

    xoxo
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I think I need to visit the garage sales when they start this spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You hit a gold mine! Can't wait for the yard sales to start around here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You SCORED BIG! Furniture pieces around here are very expensive. There is no way I will find a dresser for $1.

    Congrats!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a bonus to get the second dresser free! I love an auction and you pick up the same kind of deals at the same prices as I'm always shooting for. It will all be amazing when you transform them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic finds! I am jealous. I have never been to an auction. I will have to search to see if there are any in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky, lucky day!! Great scores! Prices here in Michigan are WAY higher, a sign of the years of economic downturn and job losses I guess. Love that dresser and can't wait to see it painted. And that bench...lovely as it is. I just have a thing for benches and stools, sigh. Glad to see others have the luck of the Irish!

    Visit my painted furniture at the Small House Under a Big Sky if you get a chance. Go to http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com

    Small House / Big Sky Donna
    White Oak Studio Designs Vintage Furniture Transformations
    Facebook: donnaallgaierlamberti@facebook.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my word!!! I want to go here, too! What days do they have the furniture auction? I couldn't tell by their website! I love your finds and would love to try there too!
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wouww....love that dresser. Really....USD 1.00....I am jealous....!!! Are you going to do a make over on that dresser? Can't wait to see it. Thanks for sharing....

    http://www.curiositaellya.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by allthingswithpurpose.com, with this great furniture post!! We look forward to seeing what else you create for next Thursday's Link Up!! Check back on Sunday to see if you've been featured!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love going to auctions too. You can find the best things there:) Great finds! I can totally see the potential too:) BTW, I'm from Lancaster...wonder how far away you are?? Visiting from The Shabby Nest:)

    ~Kat

    ReplyDelete
  13. So are so lucky! I'm excited to try auctions this spring/summer. TFS!
    I’m visiting from Six Sisters Linky. I hope you can stop by my blog and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Spring JOY Frame ~ Printable

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, such amazing deals! I love to find a great bargain, especially one that I know I can bring back to life. I am a new follower from the Domestic Superhero Blog Hop..

    Justina @ http://justinawho.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. So jealous! I need to look into going to the auctions in my area!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great stuff. Love that dark dresser. What fun!
    Liz @ Quirky Vistas

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! That would be such a great day to score deals like that! Saw this over at Elizabeth & Co. I'm going to have to scout around more often. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh! What an AMAZING score! You definitely hit the jackpot! I so very much LOVE the dressers! Congrats!!! I just hopped over from Dream To Reality and I'm happy to say I'm your newest follower. Would love to have you stop by for a visit! Happy Painting ~ Judy

    ReplyDelete
  19. You lucky girl! I need to come to the auction with you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You were one of my features this week at the HUGE party with Ginger Snap Crafts!!

    Have a GREAT week!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read all your comments. I now reply to all comments on the blog post, so please check back if you asked questions for my response.
Thank you!