Sunday, July 21, 2013

Red Tables

I really like red painted furniture, but I don't paint pieces red that often.  I painted two dressers in red a while back, but nothing since.

I came across a table that I thought would be perfect red.
I painted the legs and spindles with one coat of an oops paint in a dark red mixed into homemade chalk paint.  The wood was very dry and soaked up the paint that it almost looked like I used a red stain.  

I knew the top wasn't going to be worth sanding and staining, but I didn't want to paint the entire table red.


Then I remembered Martha Leone's gorgeous buffet she painted with a red base and white top!  I used an oops paint red and Valspar Churchill Hotel Vanilla colors mixed into homemade chalk paint.  I only distressed the top and finished with AS clear wax.

Red and white go so well together!  

While I had the red paint out, I painted another small table.
I had already sanded down the top when I was sanding other pieces.  [When I am sanding I like to sand a lot of things at one time so I have pieces ready to go when inspiration strikes.]  

I stained the top with Minwax Dark Walnut and painted the base with two coats of the same red paint and finished with the dark wax "glaze" technique.
It's amazing how different the red looks like based on what color their tops are done in!

Linking to:
Silver Pennies
Creative Home Expressions
DIY Showoff
Craft-O-Maniac
Dwellings
Coastal Charm
The Dedicated House
Cozy Little House
Kammy's Korner
Today's Creative Blog
Elizabeth & Co.
The Winthrop Chronicles
Not Just A Housewife
Dorothy Sue and Mille B's Too
Yellow Bliss Road
Fluster Buster
The DIY Dreamer
Savvy Southern Style
Green Willow Pond
Polkadots On Parade
A Stroll Through Life
The Real Housewives of Riverton
Shabby Creek Cottage
I Gotta Create
Domestic Superhero
Lamberts Lately
Lilyfield Life
The Best Blog Recipes
A Peek Into My Paradise
Crafty Scrappy Happy
Start At Home
Miss Mustard Seed

Featured by:

26 comments:

  1. I love both of these,I never thought I could have red furniture but gee these are changing my mind-love dee x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how your red tables turned out.
    Especially like the red with the white top.
    Enjoy your day

    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so AMAZING! These are absolutely stunning.

    Wishing you a lovely day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. These both look great. Love the red bottoms and contrasting tops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look of painted furniture with a stained top! I just wish stripping the old finish was as easy as painting! Unfortunately, for me, laziness wins out a lot of the time. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute-cute-cute!! As always!!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right about how colour plays off the one next to it. Both tables look sweet in their new clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great! So pretty! :)

    This reminds me of the painted furniture in my grandparents house..they had a beautiful large chest that wsa painted red.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the red with wood tones! I 'm with you, I hardly ever paint red on furniture. Love your combo. Pinned. I posted anchors aweigh to the Dedicated House Party. Stop by:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM! the first table reminds me of red velvet cake - the deep rich red with the creamy white top. I love red furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. your red tables are so great looking. love the white top on the big one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wasn't sure I'd like red furniture, but they both turned out really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG talk about a beautiful transformation! I LOVE the red! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the red, both pieces turned out so pretty. I would love it if you would link up to my Inspire Me party that is ongoing. http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/07/174th-inspire-me-tuesday.html Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty! I love red anything almost. You did a great job incorporating the red without it being too bight or immature.

    Manda @ Our Wolf Den

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooo, I like these. I find red hard to paint with and get a good cover! These look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that Minwax dark walnut...its my go to stain color. The red looks good on both pieces they remind me of a barn(its a good thing I promise)Cant wait to see more. :)

    ReplyDelete

  18. Thanks so much for sharing at A Peek Into My Paradise TGIF Link Party! I can't wait to see what you link up next week! I hope to see you at the (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop! http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/
    Have a terrific week!
    Hugs, Cathy 

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute tables Susan! I love the red with the white top. Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great week!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love them both! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  21. These table are great! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Red is my favorite color, I love both of these! Thanks so much for sharing at Amaze Me Monday!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Super cute Susan!
    Thanks so much for sharing at A Peek Into My Paradise TGIF Link Party! I can't wait to see what you link up next week! I hope to see you at the (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop! http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/
    Have a terrific week!
    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really like the reddish platforms ended up.
    Especially such as the crimson together with the white-colored leading.
    Take pleasure in your entire daycheap rs gold

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your tables look beautiful and I also love a bit of bold colour *although I usually use muted tones myself). Thanks for linking to my paint parade -sorry about last week, I've been MIA!
    cheers Fiona

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read all your comments. I now reply to all comments on the blog post, so please check back if you asked questions for my response.
Thank you!