Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Secondhand Scores #14

When I was a kid my parents went to garage sales all the time.  I admit I was totally embarrassed by it.  I never really bothered going regularly until after I had my son.  I realized I could get clothes and toys and things for him for pennies on the dollar and that is when my love for secondhand was born.

Garage sales are my favorite but I also go to flea markets, thrift stores and auctions.  I am always on the hunt for furniture to paint, stuff for myself, my house, my kids and unique items that I could put to future use.  I love the thrill of finding something that was once very expensive for as little money as possible.


In this series, I will share my scores to show you how much you could get for your hard earned money.  Some days I hit jackpots, some days I get nothing, but I always have fun.


$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Another amazing weekend to head out looking for some good deals.  It started on Friday with these scores...
At a garage sale I got the embroidery hoop, wood heart light switch cover and three packs of vinyl letters and numbers for $.50 total.  I stopped at the Salvation Army and got the set of four cake pans for $4 and the mini crock for $.50.

Saturday I went to a bunch of garage sales.

The table was $1 and the five mason jars were $1 total. I was able to make a mason jar soap dispenser with a pump that I already had.  I traced a dime on the lid and then used a hammer and a nail to punch holes really close together around the circle so it would pop out. The pump fit perfectly, but I did also glue it.  The rust on the lid just adds to the charm, although if I find new lids at a garage sale, I will probably replace it.


The alphabet stencils were $.50 for both.  
The animal stencils were $1 each.  I thought they were expensive, but I couldn't get them for less and I want to use them to make water color paintings that Elise from Grow Creative did. It didn't come out nearly as nice as Grow Creative, but I think with some more practice I will get better.  I also did a PA Dutch stencil and made it into a card.


Linking to:
The Real Housewives of Riverton
Not Done Growing
Polkadots on Parade
Southern Lovely
The Shabby Creek Cottage
Mom On Timeout
Lamberts Lately
All Things With Purpose
Green Willow Pond
Saving4Six
House of Hepworths
Start At Home
I Gotta Create
Frugal Friday
Liz Marie
Redoux
Lovely Crafty Weekend
I Heart Naptime
Creative Home Expressions
Raising Reagan
DIY Showoff
Silver Pennies
Dwellings
I Should Be Mopping The Floor
Craft-O-Maniac 
Homemaker On A Dime 
Rain On A Tin Roof
The Dedicated House
Coastal Charm
Cozy Little House
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Kathe With An E
Hickory Trail
The Winthrop Chronicles
Not Just A Housewife
Elizabeth & Co.
The DIY Dreamer
Dorothy Sue
Fluster Buster
Yellow Bliss Road
Savvy Southern Style

16 comments:

  1. I can't believe that table was a dollar! I need to get more garage sale savvy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find! http://consideringfrugal.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finds! I really like the mason jar soap dispenser and can't wait to try out that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You scored finding this one for that price! Visiting from the Gotta Create blog hop! Feel free to link this one up at our Red, White & BBQ Ladies Only Blog Share link party which is now live! :)

    http://mommifried.com/ladies-only-blog-share-link-party-red-white-bbq/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finds, especially that $1 score on the table. I'm now a new subscriber. Have a great day!

    Orphans With MakeUp

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I go picking everywhere we travel! It's neat to see what other people have in different areas. We find things to be cheaper when we are out in the country. You got some good scores!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great find on the cake pans. You can never go wrong there!

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    Raising-Reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love thrifting with a passion..you did good here. :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the table and the mason jars!!! I can't wait to see what you do with the rest of them. I know from your other furniture, that table will be amazing!

    Thanks so much for linking up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such great finds. I love the table, mason jars and the soap dispenser you made. Love! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're gonna be able to do some great things with those stencils and that old rustic table is great! Thanks for linking up to Give Me the Goods!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great finds, Susan! Love the stencils.

    Thanks for linking up to the Creative HomeAcre blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE your soap dish...too cute!!!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!!!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read all your comments. I now reply to all comments on the blog post, so please check back if you asked questions for my response.
Thank you!