Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Secondhand Scores #16

When I was a kid my parents went to garage sales all the time.  I admit I was totally embarrassed by it.  I never really bothered going regularly until after I had my son.  I realized I could get clothes and toys and things for him for pennies on the dollar and that is when my love for secondhand was born.

Garage sales are my favorite but I also go to flea markets, thrift stores and auctions.  I am always on the hunt for furniture to paint, stuff for myself, my house, my kids and unique items that I could put to future use.  I love the thrill of finding something that was once very expensive for as little money as possible.


In this series, I will share my scores to show you how much you could get for your hard earned money.  Some days I hit jackpots, some days I get nothing, but I always have fun.


$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Driving home on Wednesday afternoon one of my neighbors put out these two chairs with a nice big FREE sign on them.
I slammed on my breaks and turned around to go get them. My neighbors were outside and I asked them if they were sure they wanted to give them away--I told them I think they are teak. They were sure and now they are mine. And I am so keeping these babies!

There were a few garage sales on Saturday.
  • Hollister duffle bag for $1
  • All the yarn for $.50
  • Two red and white curtain panels for $1
  • Two beach towels for $.50 each
  • Two mason jars for $.50 each

Linking to:
Not Done Growing
Southern Lovely
Polkadots On Parade
The Real Housewives of Riverton
I Gotta Create
Mom On Timeout
Today's Creative Blog
The Shabby Creek Cottage
Green Willow Pond
Domestic Superhero
Lamberts Lately
Living Well Spending Less
Saving4six
House of Hepworths
Dorothy Sue & Millie B's Too
The Shabby Nest
Liz Marie
Redoux
Lovely Crafty Home
Finding Fabulous
Funky Junk
Silver Pennies
Creative Home Expressions
DIY Showoff
Craft-O-Maniac
Dwellings
A Living Space
Me And My Shadow
Sir Thrift A Lot
Coastal Charm
The Dedicated House
Cozy Little House
Kammy's Korner
Today's Creative Blog
Elizabeth & Co.
The Winthrop Chronicles
Not Just A Housewife
Dorothy Sue and Mille B's Too
Yellow Bliss Road
Fluster Buster
The DIY Dreamer
Savvy Southern Style

Featured by:
Living Well, Spending Less

21 comments:

  1. Those. Chairs. Are. Awesome!!!! Lucky Duck!!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! These are some amazing scores! Those chairs?! Wow... you can refinish those very nicely!

    Good work!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You lucky gal. Those chairs are worth a fortune if they are teak. Sand them down and re-varnish them for a lifetime of use. I have 4 teak chairs that are at least 50 years old and they are in great condition. What a score!!

    We'd like to invite you to Turn Old Into Awesome and win a fabulous prize package! The Whimsical Peacock and My Personal Accent are sponsoring the Dare to be Different, Up-cycling Challenge. Ends 8/12. See post for a complete list of challenge rules and prizes http://wp.me/p2Vf55-TQ This is a challenge right up your alley,Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It pays to pay attention! Great chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice chairs! what are you going to do with the beach towels and yarn?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some nice teak chairs !!! are you keeping them as is ? I can't wait to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love them!!! What are you going to do with them???? I can't wait to see!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow you did great!! It's not easy finding nice outdoor furniture like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The wood chairs will refinish nicely. Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All your finds were good one's, but the chairs are a major score! I know they will be amazing when you finish with them. Thanks for linking to TTF this week.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow those chairs are a total gift! Are you going to paint them or oil them or leave them as they are?

    Love the red stripe fabric too. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lucky to find those chairs! They are fab x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love those kinds of finds, especially free ones! I like to share what I find yardsaling, also. I'm visiting from The Dedicated House.
    ~Erin @ Erin’s 2 Cents

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous finds, those chairs are amazing, free, what could be better!
    Visiting from Coastal Charm party.
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweet score on the awesome chairs! Those will clean up fabulously.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great score on those chairs, Susan! I had a garden bench that looked just like them at our old house. I loved it. Even when it started to fall apart! : )

    Thanks for linking up to The Creative Home & Garden hop!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have found plenty of things left out by the curb, but your chairs beat most of my finds hands down. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a find!! Your neighbors will rue the day they gave up those beauties.
    New follower here, Please come to visit sometime. xoGinger

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't believe you got those two chairs for free! Brilliant find!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Teak chairs for FREE...how nice!
    Thanks so much for sharing at Amaze Me Monday!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow I can't believe that they gave those chairs away for FREE! They are so nice, great find x

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read all your comments. I now reply to all comments on the blog post, so please check back if you asked questions for my response.
Thank you!