Sunday, March 31, 2013

My Husband Paints Some Pieces

My husband is the one who truly inspired me to believe I could paint furniture.  When we bought our house it needed a lot of work done especially in the basement.  He tackled any project whether he had experience with it or not and was able to make our house into what it is today.

I couldn't be more proud of him and all his hard work!  Without him even knowing it, he truly inspired me to try painting furniture without any experience.  Thanks babe!


After a few months of me painting my husband mentioned what I was doing to some of the guys at his job.  One of his friends had a chest that was broken and was going to throw it out, but thought maybe I would like to fix it up.


The trim at the bottom had broken off and the top had also come off the hinges.  My husband fixed it for me to paint, but I asked him since he fixed it up wouldn't he like to paint it.  He did!


He chose Behr Tropical Waters for the first coat and a black for the second coat (in homemade chalk paint).  He added wood trim stars and I distressed it for him. 

Isn't it awesome?  It sold in less than three weeks.  My first piece took more than a month to sell!

Next up was the $1 dresser I got from the auction.  The veneer and second layer came off the top across the entire back and it just needed to get covered up.  

I asked my husband to get wood and trim to cover it up.  Once again, since he fixed it up I asked him if he would like to paint it and he did!  He painted the top and body black and the drawers Valspar Midnight Fog.
I love his perspective!  He didn't distress the paint and chose to polyurethane the top in a high gloss and wax the rest with Minwax Finishing Paste.  He picked out gorgeous brass knobs I had in my stash and polished them up.  It is so different than what I would have done, but I love it!

Linking to:
Life On Lakeshore Drive
Lovely Crafty Home
I Heart Naptime
I Should Be Mopping The Floor
Craft-O-Maniac
Coastal Charm
Lolly Jane
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia 
Homemaker On A Dime
Kathe With An E
Elizabeth & Co.
Not Just A Housewife
Kammy's Korner
Cozy Little House 
The DIY Dreamer
The Real Housewives of Riverton
Southern Lovely
If Its Not Baroque...
Fluster Buster
House of Hepworths 
The Shabby Creek Cottage 
Embracing Change
I Gotta Create 
Domestic Superhero
A Creative Princess
Beyond The Picket Fence
Crafty Scrappy Home
Miss Mustard Seed
The Shabby Nest 
Simple Home Life
Redoux
Funky Junk Interiors 
Too Much Time On My Hands


I was featured:
Lovely Crafty Home
Power of Paint

11 comments:

  1. Such a cute post....Love that hubby shares your painting with his buddies. I often think mine goes to work and says "guess what she did now!" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fiance tells all of his friends about my painting and blog also. He's always telling me he's gotten me some new followers...lol.

    It's cute he helps paint!

    Have a great weekend :)

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hubby is so proud of your achievements, I can tell And he does a great job too! Love the transformations!

    Hugs
    Sumaya

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love that blue piece, and what great things you said about your hubby. reminds me i need to tell my boyfriend more often that i appreciate all he's done on our home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shucks, he's a sweetie and a "keeper" for sure. My hubby (who is now in Heaven with our Lord) was my biggest fan too, and I'm still a newbie.

    God Bless you BOTH-- and paint on!

    Craft On & dance like no one else is watching :)

    Visiting from Transformation Thurs@The Shabby Creek Cottage's linky party
    Smiles,
    Suz @MaytagNMom
    NW Illinois
    My Party Project This Week

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great! Yay hubby! :) I found you at Hookin' Up with HoH-- thanks for sharing!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this color combination !!!
    Beautiful job :)
    Visiting from Miss Mustard Seed
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like how this dresser came out. Your husband did a great job. I am visiting from Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage. I'd love it if you stopped by my blog as well.

    Thank you,

    Char @ HisandHerRestoration.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the black with the blue dresser. Amazing transformation. Visiting from MMS too

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome job, hubby!! He did a great job. I think it's so sweet that you and your hubby work together on these projects.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read all your comments. I now reply to all comments on the blog post, so please check back if you asked questions for my response.
Thank you!