Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Secondhand Scores #1

When I was a kid my parents went to garage sales all the time.  I admit I was totally embarrassed by it.  I never really bothered going regularly until after I had my son.  I realized I could get clothes and toys and things for him for pennies on the dollar and that is when my love for secondhand was born.

Garage sales are my favorite but I also go to flea markets, thrift stores and auctions.  I am always on the hunt for furniture to paint, stuff for myself, my house, my kids and unique items that I could put to future use.  I love the thrill of finding something that was once very expensive for as little money as possible.


In this series, I will share my scores to show you how much you could get for your hard earned money.  Some days I hit jackpots, some days I get nothing, but I always have fun.


$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It is March in PA and not garage sale/flea market season just yet.  This score was from the Encore Store in Pottsville, PA.

Yards and yards of Rick Rack for $1 each.  It totally reminds me of my mother.  I get so happy just looking at it!

Up the block at the Salvation Army I got this beat up night stand for $1.  It is in very poor shape, but I figured it was worth getting to experiment on.  **Update, this piece was too damaged and I wound up just throwing it out.

I made quick use of the rick rack.  I made a banner out of an old pair of jeans, stenciled my daughter's name in lavender and sewed the yellow rick rack across the top.  





Linking to:
twelveOeight
{Primp}
DIY Dreamer
Southern Lovely
If It's Not Baroque...
A to Zebra Celebrations
Mom On Timeout
Embracing Change  
I Gotta Create
A Creative Princess  
Beyond The Picket Fence
The Shabby Creek Cottage  
House of Hepworths
Domestic Superhero
The Shabby Nest
The Shady Porch
Lovely Crafty Home
Redoux
Sassy Little Lady
Craft-O-Maniac
Classy Clutter  
I Should Be Mopping The Floors
Life On Lakeshore Drive 
I Heart Naptime 
Too Much Time On My Hands 
Coastal Charm
DIY Showoff
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Kammy's Korner
Kathe With An E 
Not Just a Housewife
Elizabeth & Co.
Lolly Jane
Miss Mustard Seed
Six Sisters' Stuff  
Funky Junk Interiors
Bright Green Door

19 comments:

  1. Smart girl! I love the rick rack. It is a Happy thing. I can't wait to see what you do with the night stand. $1 !! It could be beautiful.

    Peace,
    Linda at The French Hens Nest

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding vintage rick rack always makes me happy! Love the banner. I see potential in that little stand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh - love the rick rack - what a steal!! =) Found you at HOH - glad I did. I'm your newest follower!

    Have a great week!
    Danielle
    SewMuchCrafting.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That rick rack steal is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finds! I love the both. I can't wait to see what you do with the table.
    I found you today thru The I Gotta Create Linky. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    www.vmg206.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's an AMAZING find! Ric rack is awesome, and it's so expensive now in its little 2.5 yard packages.... well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are kindred spirits when it comes to thrifty shopping! I love the big finds...and you have been really lucky lately! Awesome snag on both the ric rak and the nightstand! Great use of the ric rak too! Thanks for sharing at the Rock N Share!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I want to go out "thrifting"! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to be embarrassed too. I hated going to thrift stores and flea markets with my mother, now as an adult I love it. Great finds! Can't wait to see what you do with the table!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That night stand has so much potential! For only $1 you really can't go wrong!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for coming by my Thursday Link up Party to share this! Hope to see you again this week! I love that banner at the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That shelf is so worth the $1.00 you spent on it. I would have quickly bought it and repainted it some color.

    Smiles,
    Rachael
    The Joyful Thrifter

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love thrift stores. I love little shelves like that. Good score!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the rick-rack!!! And shelves such as the one you found for a buck are some of my faves to work on. Nice scores!!

    Visiting from YOU'RE GONNA LOVE IT linky party at Kathe With and E, blog

    Smile,
    Suz in NW Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so jealous of the rick-rack!!!! Great colors and a great price!
    Hope you will share some great project ideas using them.
    Lanita

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I love that rick rack! You scored big time! You are going to have so much fun with that and all of your great finds. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent!! Have a great weekend.
    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  17. was your green paint also an oil-based product or latex?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful ric-rac!!! Fun colors and wow a real deal!
    ~T

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read all your comments. I now reply to all comments on the blog post, so please check back if you asked questions for my response.
Thank you!