Sunday, July 27, 2014

Easiest Makeover Ever!

When I saw this shelf, I thought, oh great--spindles. Not my favorite thing to paint.
But I realized the spindles were just screwed together and so it was a cinch to separate them from the shelves. They were also in great condition and I thought--why paint them? I could just paint the shelves and call it a day.
I won some samples of American Paint Company paint from a blog giveaway and one of the colors I had was National Forest. 
americanpaintcompany.com
It is a deep green that pairs with the wood tone so well.
I just slapped two coats of paint and then waxed it with the dark wax "glaze" technique. It is Annie Sloan dark wax mixed with paint thinner to give it a glaze like consistency so it is easy to move around on the paint. It gives so much dimension to the paint as it was so flat before I added it.
I normally use it with homemade chalk paint, but with the American Paint Company paint, it also takes the paint off while I rub it in, so I basically get to distress and wax at the same time. It doesn't get any easier than that!
To finish up I just had to screw the spindles back on and I was done. It is officially the easiest makeover ever!


Linking to:
DIY Showoff | Silver Pennies | Creatively Living | Craft-O-Maniac | I Should Be Mopping The Floor | Homecoming | The Dedicated House | Coastal Charm | A Stroll Through Life | Love Grows Wild | Table For Seven | Kammy's Korner | VMG206 | Not Just A Housewife | The Winthrop Chronicles | Elizabeth & Co. | The DIY Dreamer | Power of Paint | Home Stories Z to Z | Art Is Beauty | Savvy Southern Style | Fluster Buster | Polka Dots On Parade | The Real Housewives of Riverton | The Happy Housie | My Repurposed Life | Nap Time Is My Time | Lamberts Lately | I Gotta Create | Domestic Superhero | Living Well Spending Less | My Repurposed Life | Just Between Friends | Redoux Interiors | The Thrifty Groove | Liz Marie | Miss Mustard Seed | The Pin Junkie | Craft Dictator | Crafty Allie | Lovely Crafty Home | Remodelaholic | Today's Creative Blog | DIY Vintage Chic | Funky Junk Interiors | Too Much Time On My Hands 

16 comments:

  1. Looks upside own to me. Turn it the other way and see how it looks. I love your paint job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that color. Been wanting to get some American Craft paint. Think there' s a dealer in downtown Grand Junction. How lucky to win some of that paint, is that a sample jar?
    What a sweet difference just painting the shelves made, could always sand spindles a bit at some later date and spray paint them, must easier than brush. It's actually kinda cute now. There used to be those shelves all over in some decade or another, who didn't have one? You gave it another life besides making it cute .That American Paint color goes really with wood look. Good save. Happy summer days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it was a sample jar of 4 ounces of paint. And that 4 ounces goes pretty far. I painted 2 other small tables with it and have some left over.

      Delete
  3. I have a shelf almost identical to yours in my bedroom that I have held off on painting because I wasn't sure what to do... I never thought about not painting the spindles, but yours turned out great! When I finally decide, I may just have to leave my spindles as they are also! Thanks for the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you--you should try it. And then when you want a new look, paint the spindles.

      Delete
  4. I love what you did there. Great color and you really made it lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you made the right call not painting the spindles too. Looks great like that. Good call!!
    And I love the color!

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Being lazy sometimes makes a beautiful makeover ;).

      Delete
  6. Looks great! Thanks for sharing at my Twirl & Take a Bow Party. Have a great weekend!
    Leslie
    House on the Way

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I hate spindles too. It looks beautiful and very unique!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful blue paint... love the wood with it! I'm featuring your shelf at the Power of Paint Party tonight!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read all your comments. I now reply to all comments on the blog post, so please check back if you asked questions for my response.
Thank you!