Sunday, October 19, 2014

French Provincial Bedroom Set

The consignment store, where I sell my furniture, sometimes gives me pieces to paint. It's usually a dresser or table or some chairs. This time it was a whole bedroom set.
An entire French Provincial bedroom set! These pieces are big and heavy but interestingly enough, not actually solid wood.
Above is a view from the back of one of the nightstands. You can see the top is an extremely thin layer of veneer over pressboard and just the edge is wood.
Above is a photo of the underside of one of the drawers. It is molded plastic over pressboard. The head board is also a mix of wood and molded plastic.

The beauty of the homemade chalk paint is that it will stick to anything! So I knew it would be no problem to paint it.

Because of the thin veneer on the tops, I ruled out refinishing them and chose to paint them black. I painted the body of the pieces Valspar Classic Teal. 
Everything got two coats of paint, distressed, glazed with Martha Stewart Metallic glaze in Black Coffee and then finished with wipe on poly. 
Because of the incredible detail in this set, I had to use an artist brush to get the glaze in all the details. It was definitely a labor of love, but totally worth it!


Linking to:
DIY Showoff | Silver Pennies | Twelve-O-Eight | Brepurposed Creatively Living | Craft-O-Maniac | I Should Be Mopping The Floor | Homecoming | The Dedicated House | Coastal Charm | A Stroll Through Life | Love Grows Wild | Table For Seven | Kammy's Korner | VMG206 | Not Just A Housewife | Sugar Bee Crafts | Mabey She Made It | The Winthrop Chronicles | Elizabeth & Co. | The DIY Dreamer | Power of Paint | Home Stories Z to Z | Art Is Beauty | Savvy Southern Style | Fluster Buster | Polka Dots On Parade | The Real Housewives of Riverton | The Happy Housie | My Repurposed Life | Nap Time Is My Time | Lamberts Lately | I Gotta Create | Domestic Superhero | Living Well Spending Less | My Repurposed Life | Just Between Friends | Redoux Interiors | The Thrifty Groove | Liz Marie | Miss Mustard Seed | The Pin Junkie | Craft Dictator | Crafty Allie | Lovely Crafty Home | Remodelaholic | Today's Creative Blog | DIY Vintage Chic | Funky Junk Interiors | Too Much Time On My Hands 

26 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous! What a creative and great idea to use that color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the color and finish choices! Honestly I think the treatment you used makes the details shine and it looks much more expensive than when you started. Consider me inspired! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! After I painted and before I distressed, I almost didn't distress, because the paint looked so pretty, but in the end the distressing and glaze is what made this set pop and I am so glad I did it!

      Delete
  3. Great job! What a transformation! Just discovered wipe on poly! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't use it all the time, but in this case, the pieces were so detailed that wax would have gotten stuck in those details. It also saved the step of not having to buff.

      Delete
  4. You did an exceptional job on that bedroom set. Love the silvery look and the teal and how the details really show up now. You are a magician. Good job. Bet the consignment shop was thrilled when they saw it. Love all pretty details on pieces, the hardware and all. That looks like a lot of work but you sure did it up great. Happy week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really was a lot of work--so many drawers! I thought I would never get done. I was really happy with it and wished I could have gotten better photos because I think it looks so much better in person. The store loved it and priced it pretty high. I wasn't sure it would sell, but it actually did--an hour later!

      Delete
  5. Hi from your neighbor at Do Tell Tuesdays! This is such an awesome piece! I have been on the hunt for a set like this to redo. I love the painting technique you used with the glaze. It really does look awesome. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stunning! You finished these pieces beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!
      Even though I didn't clean the hardware on this set, every time I do clean hardware in the ammonia I think of you for letting me know and am so grateful! I can't believe how no matter what, it works wonders.

      Delete
  7. Wow Susan, what a big job! But you totally knocked it out of the park with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. what a gorgeous set! I know that was so much work! Thanks for sharing it at our Get Your DIY On party!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. With Prestige Furniture, get the most durable and long lasting furniture and accessories of your choice at an affordable price delivered right to your doorstep. Whether you are seeking classic furniture or contemporary design, our renowned furniture store in Devon will cater to your individual needs in a personal and professional way.
    furniture store newton abbot

    ReplyDelete
  10. Download 16,000 Woodworking Plans & Projects
    https://uswood.weebly.com/
    Woodworking guide offers anyone of any skill level the ability to build amazing projects. The guide is extra helpful because it offers more detailed explanations, videos and blueprints then your typical woodworker magazine.
    Arbor Projects ,
    Adirondack Chairs ,
    Artwork Display ,
    Bathroom Unit ,
    Box Designs ,
    Billiard/Pool Table ,
    Barn Plans ,
    Bed Plans ,
    Bedside Cabinets ,
    Bee Hive Plans ,
    Bench Projects ,
    Bird Feeders ,
    Birdhouse Plans ,
    Boat Plans ,
    Book Case Plans ,
    Baby Changing Table ,
    Coat Rack ,
    Cabin Plans ,
    Cabinet Plans ,
    Carport Plans ,
    Cart Plans ,
    Cat House Plans ,
    CD/DVD Holder ,
    Cellar Projects ,
    Chair Plans ,
    Chest Designs ,
    Chicken Houses
    Childrens Room Plans ,
    Clock Plans ,
    Coasters ,
    Coffee Table Designs ,
    Cold Frame Plans ,
    Compost Bin ,
    Computer Desk ,
    Containers ,
    Cradle Projects ,
    Small Crafts ,
    Cutting Board ,
    Deck Plans ..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woodworking guide offers anyone of any skill level the ability to build amazing projects. The guide is extra helpful because it offers more detailed explanations, videos and blueprints then your typical woodworker magazine.
    Download 16,000 Woodworking Plans & Projects
    https://goo.gl/nz1k3F

    Arbor Projects ,
    Adirondack Chairs ,
    Artwork Display ,
    Bathroom Unit ,
    Box Designs ,
    Billiard/Pool Table ,
    Barn Plans ,
    Bed Plans ,
    Bedside Cabinets ,
    Bee Hive Plans ,
    Bench Projects ,
    Bird Feeders ,
    Birdhouse Plans ,
    Boat Plans ,
    Book Case Plans ,
    Baby Changing Table ,
    Coat Rack ,
    Cabin Plans ,
    Cabinet Plans ,
    Carport Plans ,
    Cart Plans ,
    Cat House Plans ,
    CD/DVD Holder ,
    Cellar Projects ,
    Chair Plans ,
    Chest Designs ,
    Chicken Houses
    Childrens Room Plans ,
    Clock Plans ,
    Coasters ,
    Coffee Table Designs ,
    Cold Frame Plans ,
    Compost Bin ,
    Computer Desk ,
    Containers ,
    Cradle Projects ,
    Small Crafts ,
    Cutting Board ,
    Deck Plans ..

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is also a very good post which I really enjoyed reading. It is not every day that I have the possibility to see something like this.. click here

    ReplyDelete
  13. Personally I think overjoyed I discovered the blogs. french provincial bedroom

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    Hương Lâm chuyên cung cấp máy photocopy, chúng tôi cung cấp máy photocopy ricoh, toshiba, canon, sharp, đặc biệt chúng tôi có cung cấp máy photocopy màu uy tín, giá rẻ nhất.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks a lot for sharing this amazing knowledge with us. This site is fantastic. I always find great knowledge from it. French Chest of Drawers for Sale

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice Blog !
    Our team at QuickBooks Support Phone Number gives you quick and effective technical service amid tremendous anxiety and sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, I’m Elijah. I’m a Graphic Designer living in Seattle Washington. I am a fan of technology, arts, and DIY.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read all your comments. I now reply to all comments on the blog post, so please check back if you asked questions for my response.
Thank you!