Sunday, August 17, 2014

Nautical Dresser

Can you believe I was the only one who bid on this dresser at an auction? I got it for one whole dollar! I guess people just can't see past the ugly.
But guess what? Underneath all that ugly, It is made of solid wood with dovetail drawers and everything. It started out as that awful yellow color from the 60's and then someone gave it this paint job--woof!
The top had a huge piece of veneer missing and I was able to pull another piece off easily so I figured I would take it all off. Easier said than done. I removed as much as I could with just a scraper and then had to use a wet towel and iron to get off the rest. It took longer to remove the veneer than paint the entire dresser.

I painted with two coats of SW Seaworthy blue in homemade chalk paint and stained the top with a vinegar/steel wool/tea mixture.
Ahoy matey! I used larger knobs on the top drawer and covered them with jute string. I used Aleene's Tacky Glue to attach the string to the knobs and once it dried, I covered it with a layer of Mod Podge to make it permanent.
The knobs I used had a white center, so I painted them with some brown in case you could see through the spaces of the string. I then just added the string in circles until I got to the center of the knob. This picture was taken while the glue was still drying. Aleene's Tacky Glue holds great, but takes forever to dry (it does dry clear).

I just knew this dresser had beauty in it!


Linking to:
DIY Showoff | Silver Pennies | Twelve-O-Eight | Brepurposed Creatively Living | Craft-O-Maniac | I Should Be Mopping The Floor | Homecoming | The Dedicated House | Coastal Charm | A Stroll Through Life | Love Grows Wild | Table For Seven | Kammy's Korner | VMG206 | Not Just A Housewife | Sugar Bee Crafts | Mabey She Made It | The Winthrop Chronicles | Elizabeth & Co. | The DIY Dreamer | Power of Paint | Home Stories Z to Z | Art Is Beauty | Savvy Southern Style | Fluster Buster | Polka Dots On Parade | The Real Housewives of Riverton | The Happy Housie | My Repurposed Life | Nap Time Is My Time | Lamberts Lately | I Gotta Create | Domestic Superhero | Living Well Spending Less | My Repurposed Life | Just Between Friends | Redoux Interiors | The Thrifty Groove | Liz Marie | Miss Mustard Seed | The Pin Junkie | Craft Dictator | Crafty Allie | Lovely Crafty Home | Remodelaholic | Today's Creative Blog | DIY Vintage Chic | Funky Junk Interiors | Too Much Time On My Hands 

21 comments:

  1. So cool how you have given this dresser a new bright life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using the blue really made it nautical with round rope knobs and jute string on top knobs. I noticed on first photo the bottom left knob wasn't on dresser, was it in drawer? You did great job giving this wonderful dresser a new life, glad you had a good vision. Awesome deal for $1. Happy week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, the missing drawer pull was in the drawer--thank goodness!

      Delete
  3. Susan,
    Great job using good bones and paint to save a piece of furniture. $1.00 is a good bang for you buck!
    Karen Marie
    Dragonfly & Lily Pads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Even though sometimes they are a lot of work, its hard to pass up a dresser for only $1!

      Delete
  4. This looks great! And what an amazing price!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing transformation and what a steal-
    Marie @ In Our Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great save! And I love the nautical look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful - i love the colour :)

    Got to love a bargain too

    Sarah @ Edea Smith
    www.edea-smith.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great redo!! And I love the jute rope idea!! I'm pinning this to our talent board over at DIY Sunday Showcase!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a makeover! Wow! And how amazing that you got the dresser for only $1! Thanks for sharing with us at Your Designs This Time!

    Erin & Emily

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not usually a fan of nautical themes, but this I love. What a find and great work bringing out the dresser's beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One dollar? That's great, but the total transformation you gave it is simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a very informative and useful post thanks it is good material to read this post increases my knowledge. French Modern Furniture

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read all your comments. I now reply to all comments on the blog post, so please check back if you asked questions for my response.
Thank you!