Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Secondhand Scores #4

When I was a kid my parents went to garage sales all the time.  I admit I was totally embarrassed by it.  I never really bothered going regularly until after I had my son.  I realized I could get clothes and toys and things for him for pennies on the dollar and that is when my love for secondhand was born.

Garage sales are my favorite but I also go to flea markets, thrift stores and auctions.  I am always on the hunt for furniture to paint, stuff for myself, my house, my kids and unique items that I could put to future use.  I love the thrill of finding something that was once very expensive for as little money as possible.


In this series, I will share my scores to show you how much you could get for your hard earned money.  Some days I hit jackpots, some days I get nothing, but I always have fun.


$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sunday was the first Sunday Flea Market of the year at Leesport Farmers Market.  I LOVE this flea market.  It is held the first and third Sunday of the month.  There are some dealers, but most vendors are regular people who pay $10 for a space to sell their personal items.  I have gotten some amazing stuff at this flea market.  

Just walking the rows and seeing what people had for sale is fun.  Of course it is even better when I find some cool things.

I got these two pieces of fabric art for $3.

Then I found six of those bat wing handles for $1.  Not my favorite handles, but you can't beat the price and I can always use hardware.  I also got a set of bobbins for $1 and a book of PA Dutch stencils for $.50.  The score of the day was a bag of ten brand new pull cup handles for $5.


That afternoon was the bi-monthly furniture auction.  There was a lot of furniture and even more people.  The good weather must be bringing them out.  This auction took over an hour and I only got two small night stands for $1 each. There was mostly newer furniture so my choices were limited.

I got one at the beginning of the auction and one at the end and once I put them in my car I noticed they have a lot of similarities besides both being white, so I am going to paint them to match.


Linking to:
The Real Housewives of Riverton
Southern Lovely
Fluster Buster
Embracing Change
Mom On Timeout
Beyond The Picket Fence  
I Gotta Create 
House of Hepworths
The Shabby Creek Cottage
Domestic Superhero
Miss Mustard Seed
The Shabby Nest 
Lovely Crafty Home
Funky Junk Interiors
Redoux  
Finding Fabulous
Life On Lakeshore Drive
I Heart Naptime
I Should Be Mopping The Floors
Dwellings
Craft-O-Maniac
Homemaker On A Dime
LilyWhite Designs
Kammy's Korner
Lolly Jane  
Cozy Little House
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia  
Coastal Charm
Kathe With An E 
Elizabeth & Co.
The DIY Dreamer
If Its Not Baroque
Fluster Buster
Green Willow Pond
{Primp}
Bright Green Door

13 comments:

  1. Can wait to see what you do with them. Thanks Sharleen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even in my best garage sale, thrift shop shopping days I did not find furniture that was in that good a shape for $1. Can't wait to see them done over. I love the fact one curves in where the other curves out, but they go together so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, super cool finds!! Could you link this up to our blog hop??

    xoxo, Jordan.
    http://www.lilywhite-designs.com/2013/04/frugal-crafty-home-blog-hop-19_14.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I love garage sales/thrift stores/ all that fun stuff. Those little shelves you found are great, I've been looking for some like that for my kids for a while now. Good Find! I can't wait to see how you refinish them. Following you on Google+ now.

    Sarah @ CreatingAmazing.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun stuff. Love seeing your great deals and cool finds!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds and looks like you had a great day. It is always nice when you can actually find a treasure and I bet those two night stands turn out fab. Visiting from Amaze Me Monday. Have a great week! ~ Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those tables are fun! I can't wait to see what you do with them!

    ~Steph @ Silver Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you have some great finds there. do you live near Renninger's? Our second home is in Eustis. Love your furniture pieces and can't wait to see how you refinish them.
    Have a wonderful week,
    Bev
    @ Eclectic Red Barn

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much fun searching for treasure! You came home with a lot of great finds! Can't wait to see your tables painted! Thanks so much for sharing at Amaze Me Monday!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love garage sales too. My grew up going to them and now take my kids. I love finding a bargain. Looks like you got some great deals. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love garage sales and flea markets too. Can't wait for the seaon to begin here! Looks like you scored some great deals. Thank you for sharing it at to What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a lovely week!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  12. A girl after my own heart... my mom and I love garage sales too and my daughter is slowly catching the bug, she's 22 now. I love those little night stands and I think they'll be really cute as a matching set!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great finds! Those little tables sure look like soul mates!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read all your comments. I now reply to all comments on the blog post, so please check back if you asked questions for my response.
Thank you!